Almond Cranberry Quinoa
Author: Julie Lanford, MPH, RD, CSO, LDN
- 1 cup quinoa
- ½ cup sliced blanched almonds
- 1 veggie bouillon cube
- 1½ cups boiling water
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- Soak the quinoa 15 minutes in cold water
- Stir the quinoa with your hand, pour off most of the water and drain through a fine mesh strainer
- Shake dry in the strainer, then set the strainer over a bowl or pitcher
- Heat a wide bottomed pan on medium heat.
- Stir and toast the sliced almonds until golden, then remove from pan
- Add the quinoa. Stir and toast until dry and turning color
- Add boiling water, veggie cube, salt, bay leaf, dried cranberries and cinnamon stick
- Bring back to boil, cover, turn the heat to simmer, cook for 10 – 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed
- Remove from heat and allow to sit five minutes with the lid on
- Fluff gently with a fork and serve.
Nutrition Facts: per 1 cup of salad:
Approx. 302 calories, 36 gm protein, 44 gm carb, 10 gm fat, 4 gm fiber, and 242 mg sodium.