Full of cancer-fighting ingredients, this would make a delicious addition to a New Year’s eve party or a quiet celebration at home.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 onions, sliced
- a pinch of salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 roasted red pepper (from jar), chopped
- 1 cup shredded kale
- 1 cup canned white beans, drained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 squeeze lemon juice
- 8 thick slices French bread, toasted
- balsamic vinegar, for garnish
- Place 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for about 5 minutes, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and turn heat down to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 more minutes, or until the onions are browned and caramelized.
- Add the remaining olive oil. Add the garlic, roasted pepper, kale, beans, and vegetable broth to the pan. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Top each toast with bruschetta topping. Garnish with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
Makes 8 servings. Nutrition per serving: 179 calories, 7 g protein, 27 g carbohydrate, 5 g fat, 235 mg sodium